Call for Applications: GIGA Doctoral Programme (Hamburg)
The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social-science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East and combines this analysis with innovative comparative research in the fields of Accountability and Participation, Peace and Security, Growth and Development, and Power and Ideas across multiple levels of analysis.
The GIGA Doctoral Programme invites applications from Prospective Doctoral Students ( Ref.-No. GIGA-16-01 ) to join the programme on 1 October 2016.
The GIGA Doctoral Programme is a three-year structured programme for young academics, in which they can pursue their research and professional development, particularly in the field of comparative area studies (CAS). We strongly welcome international applications. The reconciliation of work and family life is of great importance to the institute.
GIGA doctoral students are fully integrated into the GIGA’s research process with a view to achieving excellence, individually and collectively. The training programme fosters their engagement with the GIGA’s unique CAS approach and provides them with the necessary methodological and soft skills to pursue a career in academia and beyond. Through academic exchanges and field work , GIGA Doctoral Students engage with the ‘GIGA regions’, build their own networks, and collaborate with international experts. They are offered exposure to policy advice activities and expected to embrace the Leibniz Association’s mission statement ‘Theoria cum Praxi’. Doctoral degrees will be awarded by one of our partner universities, dependent upon the affiliation of the student’s first supervisor.
Applicants are expected to fulfil the following criteria:
- An excellent grade point average and a final degree (masters or equivalent) in political science/international relations, economics, history or a related discipline.
- A high-quality project proposal that fits with the GIGA’s research agenda. Priority will be given to projects with a cross-regional or a comparative area studies focus.
- Strong command of the English language (German is not a prerequisite).
- The GIGA DP application form, stating contact details of two reference persons,
- a letter of motivation, a research proposal of 2000 words max. and an additional academic writing sample,
- a CV and simple copies of degrees and academic transcripts (BA, Diploma, MA),
- proof of English language skills, and
- a statement about intended funding for the duration of three years
should be sent by 1 March 2016 to Gabriele Tetzlaff , GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (email applications are particularly welcome. If the size of your email exceeds a maximum of 10 MB, please split your application).
For further information and the GIGA DP application form, please visit the GIGA Doctoral Programme website www.giga.hamburg/en/dp or contact us (Email: email@example.com ).
The final admission to the programme is dependent upon the applicant’s ability to provide proof of funding by the starting date, 1 October 2016.